Sunday, August 7, 2016

Bride walked down the aisle by the stranger who received her dad’s heart as a donation




Arthur, fondly known as ‘Tom,’ traveled from New Jersey to Pennsylvania to walk Jeni down the aisle, since her father couldn’t be there. Jeni met Tom for the first time on the eve of her wedding, when she felt her father’s heart beat for the first time in 10 years. .


Michael Stepien was murdered in Swissvale back in 2006. Tom received Michael’s heart after his death. “I was on death’s door when he was murdered and I needed a heart or I was going to be dying in the next few days,” Thomas said. .
.
The families kept in touch through letters and phone calls over the years but it wasn’t until they started planning Jeni Stepien’s wedding that she saw the perfect chance for them to meet. So, in a letter, Jeni asked Tom if he would do the honors.


Tom’s answer was yes. She met him for the first time on Friday. “Meeting Tom was so incredible!” she said. “He is such a gracious and kind-hearted man. You could tell he was so thankful for his life, and that radiated from him.


My mother was very touched by the idea also and thought it was a very appropriate gesture to honor my father. I knew how important it would be for her and my sister to receive this piece of closure by finally meeting Tom as well,” she added.

No comments:

Post a Comment