Wednesday, February 24, 2016

How I Was Assaulted By My Lebanese Boss Yesterday Morning

I work for a construction company in Port Harcourt owned by 2 Lebanese brothers. I work as one of the two Administrative staff. I was employed two years ago and the very first thing I noticed about the place was the care - free manner the Lebanese people smoke. They smoke all kinds of things openly in the office not minding the health implications on other staff. I also noticed the total lack of respect that those people have for us Nigerians. They told me stories of how they insult people, throw all kinds of objects at them and I even heard they physically fight them. I always thought it was funny and I never ever thought that I'll be a victim of such horrible, barbaric and slave-master attitude from these people. I am a BSc degree holder in accounting and I am being paid #30,000 plus I have to work on Saturdays too.




On Friday last week I requested for permission. I informed the workshop manager that my friend would be wedding the following day(Saturday). He said I should go directly to the MD of the company a dental request for permission myself. I said no, that nobody goes directly to him knowing his very bad attitude and lack of respect for everyone and besides he's the MD and shouldn't be bothered by such trivial issues.

So I proceeded to go to the wedding on that Saturday thinking my request had been granted or at the most I would be marked absent on that day. I returned to work on Monday and I was stopped at the gate. The security people said the MD told them not to let me in. When I asked why, they said it was because I didn't come to work on Saturday. I was so shocked. In any case I begged and pleaded but I was advised to go home and come back the following day (yesterday) and beg him to let me continue working. I went to the office early and waited for him to come and then I started begging him. The moment he saw me he started insulting me. He said I was useless and ungrateful. I kept on begging. He came close to me and gave me a hot slap on my left cheek. I never in my widest dream expected to be slapped by any person whether boss or not. I was so furious that it took God's grace not to beat him up. I knew if I beat him up I won't have a good case against him. So I insulted him and stormed out of the office. I reported the case at the police station. They invited him to make his statement and my dad (who doubles as my Lawyer) is handling the issue.

I am going to make sure he will never forget this experience. He would pay heavily for this and other crimes he has committed against innocent Nigerians. He was so shocked and I could see some fear in his eyes at the police station. He never expected anyone much less the very quiet boy who sits in a corner of his big company to drag him to police station and to sue him to court.

The Lebanese, Indians and Chinese are fond of maltreating we Nigerians. Even his Lawyer confessed that they see us as slaves in our own country which is a very terrible situation. Many Nigerians are afraid of standing up for their rights when these people treat them badly. I'm writing this long message to encourage people to always stand up for their rights and never let anyone or situation intimidate them. I would love to hear from anyone that has gone through similar situations before.

No comments:

Post a Comment