Friday, July 29, 2016

"The white lecturer that turned me down, eventually paid to watch me perform," Nigerian graduate


Eno Mfon, a Bristol University graduate, became a viral sensation after revealing that a lecturer that once told her there was “no space” for black writers on her course, came to watch her stage play titled, Check the Label.

According to Independent, Mfon's play was praised for exploring the “damaging effects of Eurocentric beauty standards” and the distance this creates between women of colour. .


Mfon was quoted as saying: “During my 2nd year, I decided to confront the experience of colourism and skin bleaching which permeates the black and Asian community. When I was growing up, I noticed visible changes in some of the women around me.

There were little signs that revealed the use of lightening cream. I knew how to spot the signs, but I never understood the wider implications of this; it was a taboo subject that no one dared to address. Through Check the Label, I attempted to say what many young black girls, including myself, once struggled to articulate.” .

After her post went viral, Head of Theatre at the university, Dr Catherine Hindson, apologized to her about her negative experience and revealed that the university has made a strong commitment to increasing diversity and broadened out the curriculum significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment